Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Beware Free Hosting

The old adage "You get what you pay for" reared it's ugly head today. I've spent the better part of two days working with the Wordpress API and various XMLRPC Actionscript libraries. Having never worked with XMLRPC before I expected it to take a bit to get the hang of things. I was having a helluva time however and could not figure out why I couldn't even get a call to a simple "hello" method to work. It kept coming back with a "malformed XML" error. Wordpress comes with and xmlrpc.php file when you install the software so I couldn't believe there was something wrong with their code, after all, other people were able to make it work. Then, this morning when I was looking at the data being returned it hit me. GoDaddy's free hosting accounts have banner ads across the top of the page. The HTML for those adds was being returned with my request data and causing the XML to go all wonky. I tried a Wordpress account on a paid hosting plan and everything was fine...ugh.


Digg!

No comments: