Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Taking "Gumbo" For a Test Drive

I wanted to try out my preview copy of Flex Builder 4 (aka Gumbo) that we received at MAX so I thought I'd put together a simple little AIR application. I always find myself looking around for a calendar to quickly reference so I thought this would be a perfect little application to build. If you're like me and still stuck in the Windows XP world this handy little apps just chills out in your system tray and displays the current date. Hover over it and you get the full date, click and you get a fully functioning calendar.

Download the app at http://doubletmedia.com/AIR/DockCal/DockCal.air

Enough about that, on to Gumbo. Initial impression, I like it. It's stable, even for an early build. It seems to be quicker than previous permutations of FB. I like the new code hinting and ties into ASDOCS, they are good for quick reference into what you can do with the components. I haven't had a chance to do much with the new "Gumbonents" yet, I'll have to save that for my next app.

I am having some trouble however, and I haven't been able to find any information on it so far. Since this is an AIR app I wanted to include the update frame work. However, whenever I add in that code (taken from the Tour de Flex app) I receive the following error:

VerifyError: Error #1053: Illegal override of seek in mx.effects.effectClasses.TweenEffectInstance.

Any ideas?

Digg!

No comments: