Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Brightkite & Spamalot

Ryan Stewart kindly sent me a Brightkite invite a few weeks ago. Admittedly, at first I wasn't very impressed. It seemed like a more complicated Twitter without any new added value. I don't really care where people are posting their tweets from. I decided to give it another chance though and the more I looked around the more I liked it. I like that you can post photos of where you're at and what you're doing at that moment. I however, do not have a camera on my phone (pathetic, I know) so this feature isn't particularly useful to me but it is fun to see what people are doing "around me."

There was one thing that really sold me on the service though. This past week the musical Spamalot was in town for several performances. A couple of the cast members had Brightkite accounts and were posting notes and photos of their adventures around town. It was very cool to see what they did while they were here. It provided an interesting view into how a visitor sees your hometown. The things they enjoyed doing, what they felt was interesting enough to take a picture of and post for everyone else to see. I can see where this could be useful if you were going to be traveling to a new place also. You could check out what's going on around that location and get some ideas on what (or what not) to do while you're there.

So, I think I'm sold on Brightkite. I have a few invites to give out if anyone is interested. By the way, Spamalot is a great show. If it comes to your town I'd definitely recommend it.


Digg!

2 comments:

Mike said...

invite here please.

mike.mountain

it's a gmail address .com - please excuse me for not typing it out in full, but I don't want a whole heap of spam finding its way to my door.

Thanks

Mike

Kevin Hoyt said...

Right there with you!

At first I thought it was just a more complex Twitter and didn't see the value. After a couple of weeks using it however, I've found connections I would have otherwise never known about, discovered new dining recommendations, and found new value in geographic data.

It's a great service that is quickly replacing my Twitter usage.